Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 1


In the days leading up to this service trip I've been doing a lot of thinking about what it is we are about to do, the impact this will have on the community, and the impact it will have on myself. I wanted to write sincere words and not just blurt out some irrelevant paragraph. If we simply look around, take into account current events, the world we live in is a very broken place. Broken by factors that are easily in our control, yet we do nothing to stop. Natural disasters like the hurricane which has devastated our homes, can be traced to an ever increasing trend in extreme weather patterns. It is no surprise the environment in reacting in such a volatile manner as a response to the pressures we've put upon it to sustain our life style of infinite economic growth on a finite planet, with clearly finite resources. And even in the face of these horrible disasters, those in power do not take action to aide our most immediate of needs. The Sandy Relief money was recently blocked by Congress. It has become clear that if we want to see change in the world, then we need to be that change. I am grateful for the opportunity that the Bonner program has given me, to take a first-hand role in the effort to help those affected by this tragedy. Whenever we turn on the news we see these horrible things happening, we always wonder, why doesn’t someone do anything about that? Well, Bonner has helped me realize that I am someone and I have the capacity to do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment