Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Opportunity of a Lifetime

I remember getting that phone call from Britt back in May when she said that I had gotten into Bonner. My first thought wasn't the scholarship, the service, or the commitment. It was just knowing that I was going to New Orleans that really got me excited.

Ever since Katrina hit in 2005, I would hear so many extraordinary things about this city. A city that was annihilated by one of the worst storms to hit the country. A storm that only a few saw coming, and fewer understood to what extent it would affect the region. With so many theories, stories, and rumors surrounding what had happened in regards to evacuations and relief response (or the lack of), it was just amazing to hear how the residents of New Orleans, many homeless and devastated on mental, physical, financial and personal levels, kept up their morale. I mean I can’t wait to just meet some of these people and hear their stories because I can’t even imagine how this city still manages to be “the Big Easy” and maintain the beauty and spirit when there are still many who suffer in the aftermath of Katrina’s destruction from seven years ago. I’m just beyond excited and can’t wait to get down there, get my hands dirty, and be a part of all it.

I really don’t think the effects of Katrina and Sandy can be compared on any level. In contrast to Katrina, I think a lot of people from a local to a federal level learned a lesson when it came to evacuating and then helping in relief in regards to Sandy. It really just seems like two completely different situations because they were obviously many personal stories that many of us know about and may be able to relate to when it comes to the Jersey Shore. Having gotten a chance to volunteer at the shore before might make it a little less of an “adventure”, but that does not take away from the significance of our service in any way. I think the “Here for Home” campaign (and other organizations) did a phenomenal job and its really humbling going out there each time, but the “need” that exists along the shore towns at this time is pretty indescribable as well.

I’m just extremely grateful and blessed to have this opportunity to serve at the sites of two of the biggest catastrophes of my lifetime and hopefully am able to make a difference. Getting to experience all of this with a group of passionate and committed friends is just going to be very, very surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment