Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Big Difficult

           After our three-day service at the Shore, I have to admit I was physically exhausted. For the first two days, our group at Ortley Beach mainly shoveled sand and my whole body ached because of it. On the second day, we shoveled this huge pile of sand that was blown in someone's backyard for hours on end. The beach was literally in their backyard. It felt like it took forever to move all of that sand off their back porch so the owners could at least walk back there. By the end of the day, we finally got all of the sand off of the porch and it felt amazing to get that done. Even though the work was very strenuous, I felt so good after our work for Sandy and I was ready to continue our work at New Orleans.

            The ride down to NOLA was long and tedious and everyone was anxiously riding in the vans, excited for our arrival. When we finally got there, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we were all shocked. It has been seven years since Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and, in some parts, houses are still ruined and abandoned. It truly was heartbreaking when we took the tour, especially when we went to the Lower Ninth Ward. I couldn't wait to begin our service and to help out as much as we could. 

           I have to admit that our first day of service for me was rough. I realized that I don't have many skills when it comes to building houses so I was given the job of patching. It was the most tedious thing that I had to do. It took me all day to patch up two small holes in the wall! Yet, when it was done, I felt so accomplished and relieved. The second day was a little easier since I was a little experienced and instead of holes that I had to patch up, I had to put drywall up. It took most of the day, but there was a big difference from the beginning of the day to the end and it was good to look at the wall and be able to say that I helped make it. So far on this trip, I am having a wonderful time and I can't wait to continue our service tomorrow.

-Ashleigh Amadeo 

No comments:

Post a Comment