Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Orleans Reflection

For my fifth to New Orelans I wanted to focus my attention on impacting the group of 19 freshman. I wanted them to fall in love with a city I hope to one day call my home. I wanted them to see how much a community can rise through hurt and pain to keep fighting. I wanted them to see an X on an abandoned house and see how the effects of Katrina are still all around us. I wanted them to see the strength of homeowners who are still trying to get a roof over their heads even after seven years. I wanted them to see where our coutnry failed this city in their time of need. Most of all I wanted them to see how the devestation of Sandy will not go away once the volunteers leave the area, money dries up and news crews pack their things. These strorms run much deeper than that. They continue their devestation much after the rain stops by supressing an entire community into submission. New Orleans is still struggling to break those chains. Some people are just starting to move back while others are moving here for the first time. In these coming years we need to think of the sometimes neglected New Orleans in our Sandy relief work. Just because you don't hear of continuing problems doesn't mean they still aren't there. Communities need more than hammers and nails after this destruction. They need a kind ear, helping hand, and a wealth of patience. I believe that these freshman will gain these skils throughout their work this week. They are doing a tremendous job!

No comments:

Post a Comment